Jefferson Parish Drug Crimes Lawyer
Skilled Drug Crime Lawyers in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana
If you have been charged with a drug crime in Jefferson Parish, it is natural to feel worried about your future. Drug crimes are taken very seriously by law enforcement and the prosecution. If you are convicted for possession, sale, or trafficking, you may face long prison times, high fines, and mandatory drug rehab programs. You will also have a criminal record for the rest of your life, which can limit your employment, academic, and even housing opportunities. It is critical to speak to a Jefferson Parish drug crimes lawyer who can help you avoid these harsh penalties.
Common Types of Illegal Drugs in Jefferson Parish
There are many different types of illegal drugs in Jefferson Parish. The most common of these are as follows:
- Prescription painkillers
Common Types of Drug Crimes
The Louisiana statutes outline four different crimes involving illegal substances. They are as follows:
- Simple possession: A charge of simple possession involves a quantity of drugs small enough for personal use.
- Possession with intent to sell or distribute: This charge involves a quantity of drugs larger than what is considered to be for personal use. When law enforcement finds a large amount of drugs, they presume they are to be distributed or sold.
- Selling: The act of selling drugs requires one to actually exchange the substance for money or other forms of compensation.
- Drug trafficking: Trafficking drugs does not only involve transporting illegal substances. Drug trafficking can also involve possessing large quantities, cultivating, or manufacturing drugs.
Defenses to Drug Crimes
Being charged with a drug crime may seem hopeless, but it is not. There are many defenses to drug crimes and they are as follows:
- Entrapment: Many people think entrapment occurs only when a police officer is involved in a crime. That is not true. Entrapment occurs when a law enforcement officer entices someone to commit a crime they otherwise would not have committed.
- Illegal search and seizure: If law enforcement finds drugs on your property without first obtaining a warrant, that can serve as a defense.
- Lack of intent: Like many other offenses, you must have the intent to commit a crime to be charged with a drug offense.
- Lack of possession: One of the most common defenses in drug crimes is that the substance belonged to someone else.
A Jefferson Parish criminal defense attorney can review the facts of your case and determine the best defense strategy moving forward.
Call Our Drug Crimes Lawyer in Jefferson Parish for the Best Defense
Being charged with a drug crime is a very serious matter. You are likely stressed, worried, and wondering what your future holds. At the Law Office of Robert S. Toale, our Jefferson Parish drug crime lawyer can prepare the strong defense you need to beat the charges or get them reduced. Call or text us now at 504-370-9233 or chat with us online to schedule a free review of your case and to learn more.